Website McLaren Automotive
When founder Bruce McLaren passed away at the age of 32 he left behind a legacy that has shaped who we are today. We have an unrivalled heritage which has its roots in racing; but McLaren Automotive is now creating a story of its own, and we want you to be a part of it.
As part of McLaren’s Track 25 plan, we are looking to invest £1.2 billion into Research and Development, leading to the launch of 18 all-new cars or derivatives by the end of 2025.
To ensure McLaren Automotive continues to be at the forefront of the Automotive market, we are looking for a Principal Engineer CAE Vehicle Dynamics & Performances to join our Chassis Vehicle and Technology team.
Purpose of the role
- This role involves managing a team responsible for the definition, development and validation of all Vehicle Dynamics & Performances Simulation aspects of McLaren vehicles
- The Engineer will be lead for all Vehicle dynamics simulation supporting vehicle projects. The role covers maintaining, analysing and reporting on vehicle and system models
- The Engineer will lead the strategy for the simulation environment across the business to develop the virtual vehicle performances liaising with Vehicle, Powertrain, Aerothermal, Electric Drive Technology and Controls departments
- The Engineer will report directly to the Senior Manager of CAE and liaise with various Function Groups and Vehicle Attributes
- The Engineer will be responsible for maintaining, analysing, correlating and reporting on the vehicle and system models. Models will be used to study performance against targets relating to Vehicle Dynamics, Ride Comfort, Efficiency, Driveability
- The Engineer will be responsible for defining and managing the simulation plan as well as having technical responsibility for delivering the vehicle dynamics and performance attribute across all programmes
- The engineer will supervise external CAE partners to ensure that all CAE analysis conforms to company procedures, industry best practice and global regulations
- The engineer will be responsible for full vehicle model build and development of vehicle dynamics simulation and vehicle performances methodology
- Understanding Vehicle dynamics performance, analysis of test data and basic engineering principles, will allow the Engineer to develop robust models to assist the design and development activities of the vehicle programme
- The Engineer should determine the most efficient engineering techniques and deliver maximum value to programme, through an optimised modelling approach. Alongside supporting vehicle programs, the engineer should draw on team experience of best practice to help develop methods and improve group capabilities.
- Develop relationships with academia, software and hardware suppliers and key consultancies.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Extensive experience in automotive product development or project leadership function
- An experienced automotive leader of direct and indirect teams
- Experienced in an OEM or Tier1 with a high level of Vehicle Dynamics & Vehicle Performances Attribute technical knowledge
- Experience of high volume and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes
- The Engineer should have extensive experience developing, correlation and analysing of full vehicle and system-level models for use in studying vehicle dynamics and vehicle performance attributes.
- Experience in delivery of whole CAE vehicle dynamics attributes from concepts through to series production.
- Knowledge of Adams Car, Matlab-Simulink is mandatory. Experience of VI-CarRealTime or any similar tool would be an advantage.
- Experience in testing measurements and data postprocessing would be beneficial
- Good knowledge of validation, verification and testing process
- Good knowledge of objective manoeuvre driving and subjective vehicle evaluation
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate within a team environment.
- Strong communication of simulation results via comprehensive and intelligible simulation reports.
- Good analytical, written and oral presentation skills
- Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above
- High competency in written and oral English language
- Delivery focussed – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery
- Advanced problem-solving abilities
- Good organizational skills
- Good team player and communicator able to communicate at all levels
- Self-motivated to deliver excellence
- Flexible attitude to working hours
- Capable of representing a world-class automotive brand
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world-class employees. It is our aim to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
At McLaren Automotive we are constantly looking to improve. To become the employer of choice we are always looking to develop our employee offerings. We currently offer a range of benefits to employees at all levels of the business including Private Healthcare, Contributory Pension Scheme, Life Assurance and Personal Lease Car Scheme. We also offer a range of discounts with our partner organisations.
To apply for this job please visit careers.mclaren.com.