Website Gordon Murray Design
Gordon Murray Design (GMD) is a world leader in the design and manufacture of concept and prototype vehicles, with particular focus on environmentally friendly, small city cars displaying energy efficiency and lightweight characteristics. GMD has also developed an innovative new manufacturing process (called ‘iStream’) and is actively using this new technology to satisfy low energy, low weight and low investment demands for vehicle design.
Principal engineers within Vehicle Body Systems and Architecture Design are responsible for design and release of Body and Interior components across all projects undertaken by Gordon Murray Design. This role requires specific knowledge of welded aluminium BIW design to support the ongoing development of the iStream process.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities within Vehicle Body Systems and Architecture Design:
• Provide leadership of the design and engineering of welded aluminium-based and composite-based body-in-white structures at GMD
• Lead other members of the Vehicle Body System and Architecture Design team to prepare 2D concept sections, 3D part models, 3D assembly models and any associated 2D drawings as required
• Provide input data to CAE and support any other vehicle engineering activities
• Liaise with styling to support feasible design solutions with regard to manufacturing, assembly and homologation
• Coordinate with other Principal Engineers and Project Managers to ensure technical targets, programme timings and budgetary requirements are met
• Liaise with the prototype workshop to provide feasible design solutions and support workshop activities pre, during and post-vehicle build
• Schedule design activities to meet engineering deliverables that deliver to required specifications within timescales and budgets
• Contribute to complete and effective engineering plans and schedules, including planning own activities
Experience and qualifications:
• Proven track record for the design and engineering of aluminium automotive primary structures utilising extrusions, sheet and cast/forged materials
• Experience of specifying joining technologies, including CMT or MIG welding processes
• Able to select materials and processes appropriate to engineering requirements such as strength, durability, crashworthiness, cost and manufacturing constraints
• Thorough understanding of manufacturing processes associated with aluminium including but not limited to heat treatments, coatings, assembly and process tolerances
• Casting and forging design experience and understanding of high and low production rate drivers
• Experience in motorsport or sports cars is essential
• Have experience of vehicle packaging, suspension, electrical and powertrain components and systems with respect to body structure design
• Have a good understanding and knowledge of crash regulations, testing and impact structures
• Understanding of bush design for NVH, ride and handling would be an advantage
• Thorough understanding and ability to use FEA software would be an advantage
• It is anticipated that you will have 10 years’ relevant automotive experience at an appropriate consultancy or OEM
• You will be educated to a degree level in a mechanical or aeronautical discipline
Gordon Murray Design Group of Companies:
In addition to the above responsibilities for Gordon Murray Design, the job also involves similar duties to be conducted for any future subsidiary companies within the Gordon Murray Group.
Please send an up-to-date CV, including details of your current salary and quoting Job Reference Number GMD0504 to:
Gordon Murray Design Limited,
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.