As a part of McLaren’s Modelling and Decision Sciences function, you will build the modelling components that underpin our data-driven products and solutions from research and design, prototype and validation, through to deployment. You will work as part of cross-disciplinary teams alongside software engineers, systems engineers, and designers.
You will also contribute to our core technology platforms for data and model management, as well as pushing forward our capability in our three key areas of Modelling and Decision Science: modelling insight, optimisation and control.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Virtual Product Development portfolio team. In this team we develop the models and platforms (hardware and software) that underpin our vehicle dynamics simulator products. We are looking for a lead Simulation Engineer to drive forward the development of our cloud-based simulation and data science platforms. You’ll be an evangelist for simulation-informed design, and for tools to enable traceable, configurable development of simulation workfllows. You’ll be working closely with other model builders to understand the requirements for such tools, and also working closely with software engineers to build out the core tools and platforms. This role truly sits at the heart of our technology strategy.
- Set out and lead on the implementation of the technical roadmap of our Virtual Product Development proposition.
- Lead and introduce simulation development best practice within the team.
- Lead on simulation development within engineering projects, while advocating the adoption of our core technology platforms in such projects.
- Act as a main point of contact alongside business team for external clients and stakeholders.
- Mentor some of our experienced team members.
- Be an advocate for Agile development methodologies within the organisation
- Identify the ‘right tool for the job’ for different tasks, including technical and commercial considerations
- Manage interactions with other functions in the company, and provide technical input to proposals/commercial activities
Knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience
- BSc/MSc in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or other engineering/modelling-related discipline.
- Significant expertise in using simulation to inform design.
- Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink and Python.
- Significant experience in simulation tools/frameworks that enable reproducible research, simulation configuration, or dependency management.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- PhD or demonstrable hands-on expertise in a relevant area such as vehicle dynamics, control systems, or design and execution of Simulator programmes.
- Experience in delivering commercial software products.
Values and behaviours
- Demonstrates a collaborative approach by sharing information and ideas openly with others.
- Demonstrates a strong desire to learn new approaches and ability to learn – act – reflect.
- Helps others to learn by sharing knowledge and experience and demonstrating skills as needed.
- Passion for innovation and excellence.
- Respects different views and opinions and takes time to understand other perspectives. Where differences occur, the ability to tactfully challenge.
- Demonstrates personal ownership for delivering their role, their learning and their career, but also will seek out support when required.
To apply for this job please visit careers.mclaren.com.