Website McLaren Automotive, Surrey
Purpose of the role:
Responsible for packaging, detailed design & release of Transmission and Driveline on all vehicle projects, from concept to production ensuring the design supports vehicle level requirements and system technical specifications.
- Powertrain systems design ownership of Transmission and Driveline systems.
- Work alongside system project engineers to package Transmission and Driveline systems on new powertrain architecture and installations, progressing concepts through to executing detailed designs for prototype and production release and manufacture.
- Understands and supports the package constraints for the components. Designing in context of the vehicle package to ensure a robust whole vehicle solution.
- Working with suppliers, Concept teams & DMU to ensure components and systems meet technical and package targets and to deliver detailed designs on time to predetermined quality, cost and weight targets, within DFM requirements.
- Ensures design solutions are optimised to support vehicle assembly & service requirements
- Works with other team members to develop component and system specifications.
- Works with the other designers and the component supplier to achieve efficient, innovative and lightweight designs.
- Works alongside attribute teams to deliver systems that meet NVH, thermal, durability, visibility requirements & performance related attributes (power, emissions, Response).
- Understands system & component requirements
- Ensures the components interface seamlessly to the wider car including structural interfaces & body panels.
- Chair cross functional design reviews
- Establish and control design release, ECR/ECN in line with ETRS requirements
- Support and evaluate results of component testing
- Support powertrain & vehicle development activities
- Support vehicle manufacturing
- Support Technical Specification, DFMEA & DVP activities
- Preparation and presentation of material to support external and internal project status reviews
- BOM definition and management to include leading cost & weight reduction initiatives to deliver targets
- Review and manage the opening and closure of design concerns
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Experience in Transmission and Driveline component design, packaging & release
- Detailed knowledge of materials & manufacturing processes employed in Transmission and Driveline
- Excellent CATIA V5 2D/3D skills with strong GD&T application experience
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products
- Experienced in OEM or tier one component & System design.
- Good understanding of component & system design within an APQP or similar framework including FMEA, component planning and PPAP
- Good Quality Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above, or equivalent qualification
- An ability to deliver under pressure with an appetite for success
- A passion for high performance Powertrain engineering
- A positive, proactive attitude, self-reliant with a high level of self-motivation
- An engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone
- A willingness to engage in debate and discussion
- Empathy, a willingness to listen and see others’ points of view
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://careers.mclaren.com/job/Woking-Design-Engineer-Transmission-and-Driveline/460689801/ →